Thursday, April 18, 2013

Starting to Exercise can feel SCARY!

Hey all!  It's Erica again.  And I wanted to talk a little today about how it can be really scary to start exercising when you haven't done it in a while, or ever.  But it doesn't have to be scary, or even hard.  All you have to do is start.  It doesn't even matter what you do at first as long as you get your body moving.

I have been working out on and off myself for most of my life.  But recently I experienced this same fear when I wanted to start doing Power 90.  I don't even really know why this particular program made me so hesitant.  Maybe it was because it was made by a different trainer, but I've done other programs that are probably harder than this one.  I mean I started last year with Insanity and moved on to TurboFire from there.  But something about working out with Tony Horton really intimidated me.
So I kept putting it off for a week.  And then I finally said to myself "Enough!"  This past Monday I bit the bullet and started the program.  And you know what?  It wasn't so bad.  The best part is that, as with most programs, you can go at your own pace.  This is true even for those of you are thinking about just starting by walking.  Just go for ten minutes.  All that matters is that you START!
So why would I tell you about being nervous myself?  So that you know you are not alone.  Even those of us who exercise regularly can get that feeling from time to time.  And now that I have broken through that barrier, I've decided to go even further and start working on a C25K along side my program.  I haven't gone running for just about 17 years, but I think it's time to start getting back into it.  And all I needed to remind me was to get through the fear of this new program.

It's important to get out of your comfort zone if you want to make changes.  Because you can only grow by doing something different and new. 
So try it, and let me know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! Especially with changing trainers - you get used to one's style and the idea of switching to someone is nervous-making. You don't know what to expect or if you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete